We are honoured to announce the 8th Anniversary Edition of the Leonid Kogan International Competition, which will take place from the 4th to 9th of June 2024 (deadline the 3rd of March 2024 included).
This year edition will consist of two parts. First, we will select the finalists based on video preselection. The finalists will be invited to Brussels for the final round. The jury will decide the number of finalists.
Therefore, Candidates must send the preselection video links of the YouTube uploaded videos to the following email address:
All finalists must arrive in Brussels on May 31st to begin rehearsals.
All questions about the piano accompaniment provided in the final will be communicated to the final participants after the pre-selection.
The finals will take place in a splendid OldEngland building in Art Nouveau style on the Mont des Arts, home to several of the city's best museums and cultural institutions.
Musical Instruments Museum (MIM)
Hofberg 2 Montagne de la Cour
B-1000 Brussels (Belgium)
A gala concert will take place on June 9.
Video Preselection program:
Free program with max. duration: 15 min.
Free program with max. duration: 20 min.
Important! The finalists of the first and second categories invited to Brussels must repeat the preselection program.
All participants of the first and second categories who did not pass the pre-selection will receive diplomas of participation.
1. One of the following works for violin solo by J.S. Bach:
Sonata 1 in G-minor BWV-1001, Adagio and Presto
Sonata 2 in A-minor BWV-1003, Grave and Allegro
Sonata 3 in C-Major BWV-1005, Largo and Allegro Assai
Partita 2 in D-minor BWV-1004, Sarabanda and Giga
2. Two caprices to choose from the Wieniawski and the Paganini caprices.
a) Two caprices by Paganini
b) One caprice by Paganini and one caprice by Wieniawsky
3. Tchaikovsky: Mélodie in E-flat major from Souvenir d'un lieu cher, Op. 42
4. W.A. Mozart. First movement taken from the concertos no.3 or no.4 (without cadenza).
1. One of the following works for violin solo by J.S. Bach:
Sonata 1 G-major BWV-1001, Adagio and Fugue
Sonata 2 A-minor BWV-1003, Grave and Fugue
2. Two caprices by Paganini.
3. P.I. Tchaikovsky: "Canzonetta" Andante (2nd mvt) from Violin Concerto in D major
4. W.A. Mozart. First movement taken from the concertos no.3, no.4 or no.5 (without cadenza).
The finalists invited to Brussels will play the program indicated on the page Program - Final round
The recordings must follow those rules:
- exclusively recorded for the competition and uploaded in private circumstances
- the following text should be pronounced before each recording: "This recording is made for Leonid Kogan Competition 2024"
- pieces must be uploaded separately to YouTube (one link per piece)
- edited or cut videos are not allowed
- videos must clearly show both hands and face in one take, with the camera at a fixed angle and close to the candidate
- we recommend making a professional or high-quality video to ensure the optimal material presented to the Jury
- pieces that require accompaniment must always be with piano accompaniment (never orchestra)
- no repetitions in Bach (neither in fast movements)
- two movements of Bach sonatas or partitas should be recorded in a single file
- fill all the necessary information on the title of the video (name of the Candidate, Category, age, and title of the piece)
- Video links must be sent all together with the filled application form, passport copy, payment proof, artistic high-quality photography of the Candidate, important diplomas, and a short biography.
Links must be sent by the 3rd of March included.
We kindly ask all candidates to read carefully the "Rules" section of the website for further information and regularly check in case of changes.
Please, do not hesitate in writing us for any inquiry.
General Administration | CILK
Concours International Leonid Kogan
Facebook : Leonid Kogan International Competition
Instagram : @leonidkoganintcompetition
1. The competition runs in four categories:
1st Category: for participants of 9 years old and less at the time of the preselection round (the 3rd of March 2024)
2nd Category: for participants of 13 years old and less at the time of the preselection round (the 3rd of March 2024)
3rd Category: for participants of 17 years old and less at the time of the preselection round (the 3rd of March 2024)
4th Category: for participants of 23 years old and less at the time of the preselection round (the 3rd of March 2024)
2. All pieces must be performed by memory.
3. The jury is composed of internationally acknowledged musicians.
4. All compositions must be represented by a score. Participants are obliged to provide themselves with the necessary scores ( including the piano part ) as well as to know the whole repertoire of the competition.
5. All finalists receive a diploma.
6. All results are likely to be published on the website or social networks.
7. The association reserves the right to use photos and videos taken during the competition in order to promote its current and future events and publish them on its website or social networks.
8. Travelling and accommodation expenses are the responsibility of the candidate.
9. The association reserves the right to amend the rules in the interest of the competition.
10. Participation fee:
First and second Categories: 200 €
Third and Fourth Categories: 250 €
Attention to non-European Candidates: taxes must be run by the applicants, never by the Competition, so pay attention while making the transfer not to let the taxes on the Competition side. We must receive the exact amount of the participation fee. So for the countries which are not part of SEPA zone please add €12.10. SEPA zone consists of the 28 EU member states together with the four members of the European Free Trade Association (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland)
To be paid on the following account:
ASBL: VIOLIN VIRTUOSI
IBAN: BE82 3630 6151 0568
ADDRESS: Avenue Charles Quint 576, 1082 Berchem-Sainte-Agathe.
(mention « Violin Virtuosi 2024 » and name + first name of the candidate).
11. The candidates must register via the form and attach his/her photo for the program. Any incomplete form could result in the cancellation of the application.
12. The jury has exclusive jurisdiction to settle any disagreement. Its decisions are final and can not be contested. It may possibly be decided not to award a prize in one or another category.
13. The Jury President of the International Leonid Kogan Competition will have the second voice, if necessary, in which case he will make the final decision. The President of the International Leonid Kogan Competition for Young Violinists is responsible for all artistic and musical questions.
14. The registration fee can not be refunded.